> From: Steve Richter
>
> Joe Pluta is have a bad influence on you Charles.  There is no reason
> to disparage someones comments on this list.

I only disparage comments that are in themselves unfounded remarks
disparaging the iSeries, the subject of this list.

Sentences like this:

"IBM also needs a comprehensive approach to programming languages that
rivals the .NET CLI.   As things are now, code written on the Windows
.NET platform is completely reusable in all aspects of .NET. From
spreadsheets to web sites.  The same is not true on IBM platforms.
There is no comprehensive CLI on IBM systems."

ILE, which predates .NET by nearly a decade, is just as viable an
implementation of cross-language interoperability as .NET.  In some
ways, it is far superior.  For example, ILE allows languages to call
each other USING THEIR OWN SYNTACTICAL SCHEMES rather than forcing them
to kow-tow to some uber-layer.  Why is this better?  Well just ask the
people who have had to virtually rewrite their Visual Basic programs to
work in the .NET paradigm, as opposed to the RPG folks who basically
just had to do a recompile.  IBM believes in protection of investment,
while Microsoft makes money by forcing people to rewrite things with
every release of the operating system.

ILE already provides everything needed, and saying it needs to emulate
Microsoft is wrong, and is the type of statement I disparage.

Or sentences like this:

"call it what you want.   When my code is in such a state that when
changes made to it introduce other "problems", I call that code buggy."

The code was not designed to be multi-threaded, so rearchitecting it to
be multi-threaded entails a cost.  This is just simple common sense.  If
you've ever retrofitted a requirement onto an existing design, you'd
recognize the difference between a bug and a design modification.  Code,
especially system-level code, often is architected with specific
tradeoffs made.  Undoing those tradeoffs costs money, and since nobody
needs multi-threaded interactive jobs, the decision was made to not
spend that money.

This is not a bug, and calling it one is the type of statement I
disparage.

Okay, I'm done now.  Further participation from me would be
unproductive.

Joe