He's right about the  "Not regarded in well rounded IT circles". Of
course thats largely because its  "Unknown in most IT circles". How many
programmers under 35, other than those who have programmed on an
AS400/iSeries, have even heard of RPG, not many. And of those few who
have heard of it, I'll bet that most of the think its some old, dead,
language. RPG isn't even included on any of the charts I've seen that
trace the development of programming languages, or on any of the lists
of programming languages I've seen. In 5 years of Computer Science
classes it was never mentioned, not even in the "Programming Languages"
class that was supposed to talk about various obscure languages. And
those few people who have heard of RPG probably think of RPGII or older,
which you have to admit doesn't do anything good for it's reputation.

One of the things IBM needs to do is to expose the academic world to
how great "new" RPG is, and how great the iSeries is. If new CS and
business majors came out of college with the idea that the iSeries was a
great, new, state of the art computer I bet there would be a lot more
demand for it. Heck, if they came out of college with the knowledge of
the existence of the iSeries it would be great. Instead most people
think of "mainframes", and most people would probably classify the
iSeries as a mainframe, as ancient dinosaurs that died out 20 years ago.
When they find out that the business that just hired them still uses one
of these ancient computers they push for the business to "get with the
times", cause everyone knows that Unix or wintel boxes are what business
should be running on. Can you even get the tubes to repair those old
mainframes anymore? And weren't they the cause of all that time and
money we spent on Y2K, why do we still have them.

Joe Lee

>>> joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 02/28/2005 17:06:21 >>>
Oh my, Dave <wiping tears>.  I haven't laughed this loud in a while.

But let's do something, shall we?  Let's you and I sit down and write
an
MRP generation.  I'll use RPG, you use the super powerful language of
your choice.  Mine will be done faster, run quicker and have more
features than yours, guaranteed, or I'll publicly get on this list and
apologize.

But until then you're just trolling, dude.  And that being the case,
don't expect any more responses from me until you either take me up on
my challenge or at least explain what language is better for
navigational database access and why, rather than taking unfounded
potshots at RPG.

Joe

P.S. "Not regarded in well rounded IT circles"?  Oh no!  Not the well
rounded IT circles!  <giggling profusely>

> From: Dave Odom
>
> Joe,
>
> Others may have pointed this out but....
>
> Yes, it IS time for YOU to get serious with your statements:
>
> "... the power that only RPG can bring you.  You must be joking...
As
> there are many other languages that are super powerful and available
on
> the iSeries.
>
> "RPG: assembly language for your database,"   Again, you must be
joking
> and I caution you not to say that around anyone that works on other
> platforms; you'll embarrass yourself.   RPG is NOT assembly
language!!
> Its Report Program Generator.
>
> "available only on the iSeries!"   Yep, while somewhat powerful, no
> other platform would have RPG; they laugh at it.  It's esoteric and
> oriented to one platform of consequence and not regarded in well
rounded
> IT circles.
>
> Again, I would not shout the above too loudly.
>
> Dave Odom

list