midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   7. Sarbanes-Oxley and the AS400 (Greg Wenzloff)
>
>We are preparing for our audit and the team has requested a list of "new
>users added to the operating system" ... "list should be obtained from the
>operating system based on creation date".
>
>I know that SECTOOLS has several useful reports but I don't see anything
>with a creation date for the user profile.   Does anyone know if that info
>is available from the system?    Thanks.

Greg:

Not much help, I'm afraid.

As others have mentioned, DSPOBJD to an outfile for *USRPRF objects might give
a file you can query for what you need here. Hard to go into details though.
Because...

>While I'm typing let me add that they also want a "list of users with
>security access changes". I'm not entirely sure what that means nor how to
>get a report.
>
>We are at V4R4 and do not have auditing turned on.

...ouch. Without auditing plus various on-going analyses of audit journal
entries, this is practically impossible. Of course, if you had some kind of
system administrator application through which all such changes must go and
which securely logged what was done, then system security audit journaling
might not be important.

Without an audit trail, it's hard to imagine much that can be done for anything
resembling "users with security access changes".

And this gets significantly more complex depending on what that phrase means.
E.g., would that cover any new private authorities granted to users?
Authorities for groups? Authorization list changes? Or should it be restricted
to direct changes to special authorities in user profiles? If a library has
CRTAUT(*CHANGE) and a new object is created there, should that count even
though it might refer to *PUBLIC rather than particular users?

Interesting stuff, dealing with auditors. Especially if you're unlucky enough
to get one that knows enough about the system to make a mess. I'm not sure if
that's worse than one who knows all about some other kind of system and wants
to know what you're doing to prevent the same kind of vulnerabilities, even
when they don't exist in a similar form.

I sure hope you'll report back after the audit and fill others in on the
result. It seems to me we hear more "It's going to happen (an audit)" and not
enough "After the audit, we've had to..."

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.