The 6384 is a 30GB (60GB with compression) tape unit.  It uses SLR-60 QIC
tapes.
$60 for a 60GB tape is probably not that out of line.

You can use the following tapes in the 6384 - but note the difference in
data transfer rate if you use something other than the SLR-60's.  If you
just want a lower capacity tape, try the SLR100-5GB tapes, or if you don't
care about data transfer rate the MLR1-2GB.

Double the uncompressed capacity and data transfer rates below for normal
(compressed) usage:

FORMAT          MEDIA           CAPACITY - NATIVE TRANSFER RATE IBM TAPE #
                                        (UNCOMPRESSED)
SLR60           SLR60-30GB              30GB - 4.0 MB/sec 19P4209
MLR3            MLR3-25GB               25GB - 2.0 MB/sec 59H4128
QIC5010 MLR1-16GB               16GB - 1.5 MB/sec               59H4175
QIC5010 DC5010                  13GB - 1.5 MB/sec               16G8574
QIC5010 MLR1-2GB                 2GB - 1.5 MB/sec               35L0589
SLR100          SLR100-5GB               5GB - 4.0 MB/sec 35L0961

The following tapes can be used for READ ONLY on the 6384:
FORMAT          MEDIA           CAPACITY - NATIVE TRANSFER RATE IBM TAPE #
                                        (UNCOMPRESSED)
QIC4DC          SLR5-4GB                 8GB - 760 KB/sec 59H3660
QIC4GB          SLR5-4GB                 4GB - 380 KB/sec 59H3660
QIC2DC          DC9250                   5GB - 600 KB/sec 16G8436
QIC2GB          DC9250                  2.5GB - 300 KB/sec 16G8436

For tapes, IBM brand will usually be the most expensive.
Try the actual manufacturer's own brand (Imation - formerly 3M).

...Neil

"James R. Newman, CDP" <newman400@xxxxxxxxxxx>
2005/02/24 10:10

"Midrange L" <MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
6384 tapes

I have a Model 600 running V5R2 with a 6384 tape drive.  I also just found
out the tapes for the 6384 are about $60 each!!  Anyone using a 6384 with
another QIC size other than the SLR60?