I have the exit programs, just trying to tweak 'em.

After doing a bit more research, I'm fairly sure that I need set values in the 'Application Specific Information Parameter'.

Apparently it consists of 7 binary fields in total:
Initial name format - binary(4)
Initial current working directory - binary(4)
Initial file listing format - binary(4)
Control connection security mechanism - binary(4)
Data connection encryption option - binary(4)
Control connection ciphersuite - binary(2)
Data connection cyphersuite - binary(2)

So, my d-specs have changes to:
d AppId           s              9B 0
d UserId          s            999
d UserIdLen       s              9B 0
d Authen          s            999
d AuthenLen       s              9B 0
d IpAddr          s             15
d IpAddrLen       s              9B 0
d RtnCode         s              9B 0
d User            s             10
d Password        s             10
d CurrLib         s             10
d homedir         s            999
d homedirl        s              9b 0
d AppSpec         S            999
d AppSpecL        S              9b 0

dAppSpecDS        ds
d asNameFmt                      9b 0
d asIntlWrkDir                   9b 0
d asIntlFileLst                  9b 0
d asCCSM                         9b 0
d asDCEO                         9b 0
d asDCC                          4b 0
d asDCS                          4b 0

And now my *entry parameter list looks like so:

 * Input parameters
c                   Parm                    AppId
c                   Parm                    UserId
c                   Parm                    UserIdLen
c                   Parm                    Authen
c                   Parm                    AuthenLen
c                   Parm                    IpAddr
c                   Parm                    IpAddrLen

 * Return parameters
c                   Parm                    RtnCode
c                   Parm                    User
c                   Parm                    Password
c                   Parm                    CurrLib
c                   parm                    HomeDir
c                   parm                    HomeDirL
c                   parm                    AppSpec
c                   parm                    AppSpecL

I set values thusly:

if FTPUser = TECHSUPPRT;
  homedir  = '/home/tech/software';
  homedirl = %len(%trim(homedir));
  asNameFmt = 1;      // path name format
  asIntlWrkDir = 1;   // set homedir
  AppSpec = AppSpecDS;
  AppSpecL = %len(%trim(AppSpec));
endif;
RtnCode = 1;

But it's not working. When I attempt to login as 'TECHSUPPRT', I receive the following error message in the FTP joblog (only for this user, others are OK):

Data from exit program for exit point QIBM_QTMF_SVR_LOGON is missing or
  not valid.

Cause . . . . . : The exit program for exit point QIBM_QTMF_SVR_LOGON either did not return data or returned incorrect data for item "8" as listed below:

-- 8 = Length of initial home directory

Tom