The biggest question is, as you've asked:  Do you even need to?
The answer is no.  Let IBM fix the problem you discovered.  Download the
new ptf and apply it to the B side, test at some obscure time.

Any reason not to apply all ptf's permanently?
- If you are a Domino shop there are some weird situations in updating
your version of Domino that you may have to remove and reapply ptf's for
Domino related products like LEI.  Applying them permanently makes the
RMVPTF impossible without removing the LPP.  Solution - Just don't apply
ptf's permanently to Domino products.
- If you have any test ptf's out there do NOT apply them permanently.  If
IBM updates them they will not issue a new ptf number.  Instead you will
have to RMVPTF and reload and reapply the new download.  But you will most
likely know if you've downloaded a test ptf because it WILL be related to
a specific pmr you had open.

Is it possible that a new cume may put on a ptf and immediately
permanently apply it?
Yes, I believe so.  DSPMSGD the following:  CPF3630, CPF35D1, CPI35AA,
etc.  Some new ptf may require that a ptf (which also came on the cume) to
be permanently applied and might do so.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Urbanek, Marty" <Marty_Urbanek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
02/17/2005 02:17 PM
Please respond to

<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
How do you get the B side back "clean"?

Let's say I want to apply the latest OS/400 cume, but I can't run the risk
of causing application problems.

So before installing the cume, I apply all my PTFs *PERM. Then I apply the
new cume.

Now in theory, if I have a problem under the newly applied maintenance I
can IPL from the A side and everything should be back the old way,
correct?

But how do I get back to running on the B side? I guess what I'm asking
is, isn't my "B side" corrupt now (it contains code that causes problems)
and if so, how do I get my system back to running on the "B side", or do I
even need to, etc?

Is there a process for copying the (good) A side back over the (bad) B
side to make B side good again?

Hopefully someone can tell what I'm trying to ask.

Thanks,
-Marty

list