On a monthly basis we send large updated proprietary data libraries to
customers on standard CDs.

The image on the CD is a normal Iseries saved library and to a PC the file
appears to be just a big file.

Occasionally some customers encounter a failure in restoring the library.
Some of the time the failure is that CD is damaged but that is easily
verified when the PC won't acknowledge the file either.

However, way too many times the CD can be viewed on the PC (the
non-translated AS400 gibberish can be viewed that is), but the second file
cannot be restored. The first file takes up 547 MB and the second file is
134 MB. (The size changes every month but the range is still the same)

Here is my wild guess because I don't know the technical specs of the
Iseries CD readers.

I suspect that on some versions of the reader and perhaps influenced by the
version of OS400 that there is an issue with a size boundary of 640 MB  680
MB or whatever. I say SOME readers because some customers have no problem
what so ever. What I do know is that if a customer copies the second file to
a PC hard drive and then burns a CD with only that file on it, then the file
(library) restores just fine.

Another strange thing is that it appears the some readers don't like a CD
volume label longer than 10 characters while other seem quite happy with 14
or 15 characters.

Does anyone know the real story on the specs?

Steve Moland
Access Paths Inc
12 Parmenter Rd Unit-C4
Londonderry NH 03053