Walden,

> Finally, why do you care? Seriously, if the data returned is what you
> asked for, who cares _how_ it does it, as long as it does it fast?

That's why I called it a theoretical question and put theoretical in single
quotes for an extra measure!

Sometimes I have musings about implementation details - especially if I'm
having trouble with something in a real situation - where I start to ask myself
"I wonder if they did it this way? Could it be done better this way?" etc.,
etc. Just musings that occupy my over active mind :-)

What prompted me to post this particular musing was that Lloyd's posting
reminded me of this musing I had a couple of months ago, since everyone on the
list was in SQL mode investigating Lloyd's question, I thought it apt to post.

However, I do appreciate your other - quite valid - points that I snipped out
of this reply.

--phil