Rob,

You have to do the "bind to address" if you have Domino trying to send mail and the native SMTP send mail from the same system. Otherwise they will fight over using port 25 on any and all IP addresses on the system. If you only have one IP then one of the two will be effectively blocked. And it can be a toss up as to which although probably first started wins.

Also, it depends on what version of Domino. Before V6, if I remember correctly, you could use MSF where Domino used the iSeries SMTP stack. But with the newer versions Domino uses its own SMTP and IBM didn't provide a way to have OS/400 use it instead of the internal one.

Depending on the IP addresses you have on the system and your network you may not have to touch your router/firewall if everything is outbound only. The router function just has to accept the iSeries' address and pass the packets out to the internet.

I did forget in my example that when the second address was added to the system that it also required a second address on the firewall/router that was in the new sub-net and the system had to have a *DFTROUTE (sp?) point to it. If you can use an address within the current sub-net the firewall/router change and the second *DFTROUTE aren't needed.

I chose a new sub-net because I found PCs (without a local DNS, WINS, or any MS server) would connect randomly to any address the iSeries had within the PC's sub-net. NetBIOS seems to broadcast on all addresses. While this might be an advantage when you have more than one adapter in the iSeries, it can be a problem too. I have a system with 1Gb and 100Mb adapters and use only network switches. If I connect both adapters to try and have redundancy protection, some of the PCs connect to the 100Mb adapter which can affect throughput where it wouldn't if everything used the 1Gb when it is available.

Roger