There were 2 types of emergency power switches used on the 38.

The later ones used the System/3 pull switch on the front panel, but the early models had a rocker switch on the right side of the cabinet. Both types required the CE to reset the switch if tripped.

According to our CE at the time, there had been a number of cases where the rocker switch had been accidently bumped off as people brushed up against the system. To address the problem, IBM issued a field mod consisting of a plastic shroud and some super glue to attach it.

Keith

IBM was installing our brand-new System/3 Model 15, and something went wrong. The CE had to pull the "Emergency Pull" knob. He was so enthusiastic that it broke off in his hand. I don't think it was intended that it break off...

As I remember the way it worked, it was like a big On/Off switch, and all it did was turn off main power. Fast. Cold. And there was a mechanical interlock so you couldn't just push it back in and restart; you called IBM. If you had to use it, it had better be a BIG emergency (ie smoke pouring out of the system unit).

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx