<snip>
reset to its initial value after each IPL.
<endsnip>
When is it reset, and how?  Evidently QSYS/QSTRUP can use it.  But if I
call the program twice does that reset it?

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Bryan Dietz <BDietz@xxxxxxxxxx>
01/19/2005 01:15 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: System value QSTRPRTWTR

have a look at the CHGIPLA command.  there is a parm there for start
printers

This is from a V5R3 system:
                        Change IPL Attributes (CHGIPLA)
Type choices, press Enter.
Restart type . . . . . . . . . .   *SYS          *SAME, *SYS, *FULL
Keylock position . . . . . . . .   *NORMAL       *SAME, *NORMAL, *AUTO...
Hardware diagnostics . . . . . .   *MIN          *SAME, *MIN, *ALL
Compress job tables  . . . . . .   *NONE         *SAME, *NONE, *NORMAL...
Check job tables . . . . . . . .   *ABNORMAL     *SAME, *ABNORMAL, *ALL,
*SYNC
Rebuild product directory  . . .   *NONE         *SAME, *NONE, *NORMAL...
Mail Server Framework recovery     *NONE         *SAME, *NONE, *ABNORMAL
Display status . . . . . . . . .   *ALL          *SAME, *SYS, *NONE...
Start TCP/IP . . . . . . . . . .   *NO           *SAME, *YES, *NO
Clear job queues . . . . . . . .   *NO           *SAME, *YES, *NO
Clear output queues  . . . . . .   *NO           *SAME, *YES, *NO
Clear incomplete joblogs . . . .   *NO           *SAME, *YES, *NO
Start print writers  . . . . . .   *YES          *SAME, *YES, *NO
Start to restricted state  . . .   *NO           *SAME, *YES, *NO

and the help for start print writers:

Help                Start print writers (STRPRTWTR) - Help
    Specifies whether or not print writers should be started at IPL
    time.  The initial (shipped) value for this attribute is *YES.  This
    attribute is reset to its initial value after each IPL.
    *SAME
        The value does not change.
    *YES
        Print writers are started at IPL time.
    *NO
        Print writers are not started at IPL time.  This attribute is
        then reset to *YES.

----------------------------
Bryan Dietz
Aktion Associates

midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote on 01/19/2005 10:11:56 AM:

> Got this question about a system value and wasn't getting a response to

> thread on the security list.  Since it started wavering off to system
> values I thought I'd cross post it here.
>
> I will have my own QSTRUP call the one in QSYS first.  Then it will
> execute it's thing, but with adopted authority.  This way I will get any
> new updates that IBM decides to add in QSYS/QSTRUP, and, if I put on a
new
> release I don't have to worry about changing any job descriptions,
> changing the authority on QSYS/QSTRUP, etc.
>
> I have one question about this.  I planned on using the technique that
IBM

> uses in their QSTRUP to start writers.
>      QSYS/RTVSYSVAL SYSVAL(QSTRPRTWTR) RTNVAR(&STRWTRS)
>      IF COND(&STRWTRS = '0') THEN(GOTO CMDLBL(NOWTRS))
>      CALL PGM(QSYS/QWCSWTRS)
>      MONMSG MSGID(CPF0000)
> NOWTRS:
>
> So my code is a copy of the above, preceded by CALL QSYS/QSTRUP.
>
> But if I previously called QSYS/QSTRUP I want to make sure that
QSTRPRTWTR

> is not reset by that.  So, at what point does that get reset?  This is
not

> a system value you can do CHGSYSVAL on.  Just want to make sure that if

> am doing some special IPL that I don't start the printer writers
> unnecessarily.
>
> Rob Berendt

list