From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Patrick Botz
Sent: Tuesday, January 18, 2005 12:58 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Security Audit Journal receiver

David,

You said...
>Because journals are one of the main ways of detecting unauthorized
>activity it is very important that they are not the weak link. Getting
>journals off of the system also reduces the chance that someone will
>destroy your machine to cover their tracks.

You're making an assumption that they are a weak link today. Ok. Let's go
with that. My point is that your proposed solution doesn't necessarily
solve the problem. Since, in the end you have to rely on some number of
people not to delete the journal, you need to make sure that if it is
deleted, you can know who deleted it. Copying the journal OFF of the OS400
system removes your ability to know WHO deleted it.

We can certainly disagree about this, but my take is that losing that
ability at least offsets any value you might have derived by copying it.

Patrick Botz
Senior Technical Staff Member
eServer Security Architect
(507) 253-0917, T/L 553-0917