Years back (S/36 days) we used to use Sorbus maintenance and Decision Data
maintenance.  They were "ok" but we're happier with IBM maintenance.  What
gets me is that the outside maintainers base their prices on x% of IBM
prices.  Even when IBM artificially jacks up their prices on older
equipment to make purchasing the newer equipment look more attractive.  I
can see why people like James do their own maintenance on their antiquated
hardware when you probably can buy 2 of their current boxes on Ebay for
the cost of one month of maintenance.  Back when we used twinax printers
and the maintenance started getting so dang expensive, we started buying
used ones and warehousing them.

We also have the philosophy that if we are paying through the nose for
software/hardware maintenance we call IBM at the drop of a hat.  Never a
week goes by that I don't open a couple of pmr's.  Recently I worked a
week where I only came in for 1/2 day and still opened 2 pmr's.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Jim Franz" <franz400@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
01/06/2005 08:57 AM
Please respond to

"Midrange Systems Technical Discussion" <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
Re: IBM Maintenance alternatives

For my whole career (which is the life of all the sys 3x & 400 products),
I have yet to see a savings on non ibm maint that was worth the additional
downtime to my customers (and many tried, but all came back to ibm after
some incident). Just like another thread on the Comair outage, will you
make some decisions (perhaps saving a few bucks) that can affect your
company's ability to function? The biggest excuse I heard from non ibm
techs
was their inability to get parts rapidly, and their use of untested "doa"
used parts.
jim