Found out that certain Windows fixpacks have made it a bear to delete
files from QDLS via a share.  IBM is working on a fix.  However it is
recommended that you do not try to delete files from QDLS, QSYS.LIB, QOPT
from a Windows share.  Well, I still had a directory that I used in QDLS
that I suppose I should follow my own advice and move to do a different
directory.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

<snip>
APAR MA30361 documents this IBM code change.
Watch this APAR and the NetServer home page for further updates on this
issue.
<endsnip>

You can view the document at the  following  URL
http://www-912.ibm.com/8625680A007CA5C6/1AC66549A21402188625680B0002037E/19811021EA2E581886256F0B0069EA5C

This document and many others can be found by selecting the "Technical
databases" link at the iSeries Technical Support website at the following
       http://www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/support

While you are there, check out other exciting offerings such as iPTF and
Recommended Fixes.  We show you the quickest way to keep your iSeries
systems current on fixes.

IBM Support Line
Technical Document

    Document Number:   353401389
  Functional Area:                       Host Servers
  SubFunctional Area:               AS/400 NetServer
  SubSubFunctional Area:       General
  Product:  OS/400 BASE (5722SS100)
  Release:  V5R1M0; V5R2M0; V5R3M0

  Classification:       Public Use

 Document Title:Cannot Delete a File In QDLS, QSYS.LIB or QOPT through
IBMÂ
NetServerâ - File May Be in Use
 Document Description:
  Fixes for the Microsoft Windows XP professional operating system modify
the behavior of the Microsoft Windows network client in such a way that
files in the QDLS, QSYS.LIB and QOPT file systems can no longer be deleted
through requests from this network client.  Windows XP Hotfix Q812937 has
been identified as the specific fix introducing the change in behavior of
the Windows XP network client.  Hotfix Q812937 is also included in Windows
XP Service Pack 2.

Fixes for the Microsoft Windows 2000 operating system also modify the
behavior of the Windows network client in such a way that files in the
QDLS, QSYS.LIB and QOPT file systems can no longer be deleted through
requests from this network client.  Windows 2000 Hotfixes KB867778 and
KB885835 have been identified as the specific fixes introducing the change
in behavior of the Windows 2000 network client.  Hotfixes KB867778 and
KB885835 have not yet been included, to the best of our knowledge, in a
Windows 2000 Service Pack.

This change modifies the way that the client tries to delete files. Rather
than sending a request to delete the file, the client now sends a request
to set the file attributes with a flag indicating that the file should be
deleted.  This will fail with files or folders in the QDLS, QSYS.LIB and
QOPT file systems due to the design of these file systems when accessed
via
the Integrated File System.  The change attributes and delete requests are
handled by different functions:  one to change the attributes and one to
perform the delete.  The delete cannot succeed because the change
attribute
request causes the file to be in use.  The design of the QDLS, QSYS.LIB
and
QOPT file systems has not changed since the introduction of the Integrated
File System in V3R1.  This failure occurs because of the change in the way
Windows tries to delete the file, not because of any change to IBMÂ
OS/400Â
or IBMÂ i5/OSâ, the IBMÂ NetServerâ or any PTF applied to the IBMÂ
iSeriesâ
family of servers.  The same request to other file systems in the
Integrated File System work without failure.  The problem happens only in
the QDLS, QSYS.LIB and QOPT file systems.

To circumvent the problem when it occurs within QDLS, the files can be
moved from folders in the QDLS file system to directories in the root file
system.  This approach has the added benefit that the root file system
integrates more tightly with the Windows operating system than QDLS ever
could.  However, there is a chance with this approach that programs on the
iSeries family system that use QDLS documents must be rewritten to use
stream files.

An update to iSeries NetServer is being made to work around the new
Windows
client delete procedure.  APAR MA30361 documents this IBM code change.
Watch this APAR and the NetServer home page for further updates on this
issue.

The online APAR technical database is located at the following Web site:

http://www-912.ibm.com/n_dir/nas4apar.nsf/nas4aparhome

The NetServer home page is located at the following Web site:

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/iseries/netserver