I stand corrected.  However, the flyer didn't claim it as a door prize,
it claimed that if I registered I'd be eligible to win.

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of John Brandt Sr.
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 8:19 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: Spam:RE: Is the Barsa Group running a lottery?

This is not a "Lottery" and doesn't meet the definition of a lottery or
sweepstake. It is a "Door prize" and not intended for the general
public. It is intended for participants in a particular event.
<snip>
United States Code
   Title 18
        Section 1307. Exceptions relating to certain advertisements and
other
                    information and to State-conducted lotteries
      (a) The provisions of sections 1301, 1302, 1303, and 1304 shall
    not apply to -
        (1) an advertisement, list of prizes, or other information
      concerning a lottery conducted by a State acting under the
      authority of State law which is -
          (A) contained in a publication published in that State or in
        a State which conducts such a lottery; or
          (B) broadcast by a radio or television station licensed to a
        location in that State or a State which conducts such a
        lottery; or
        (2) an advertisement, list of prizes, or other information
      concerning a lottery, gift enterprise, or similar scheme, other
      than one described in paragraph (1), that is authorized or not
      otherwise prohibited by the State in which it is conducted and
      which is -
          (A) conducted by a not-for-profit organization or a
        governmental organization; or
************************
          (B) conducted as a promotional activity by a commercial
        organization and is clearly occasional and ancillary to the
        primary business of that organization.
</snip>

What you noted applies to mass advertising and marketing to the general
public, not a company attempting to promote attendance at a seminar.

Just my humble opinion, I could be wrong.

John Brandt
iStudio400.com
(903) 523-0708
Home of iS/ODBC - MSSQL access from iSeries and RPG.