That's called a "variable length field" on the i5.  People don't use them
because they weren't available on the S/38 and they refuse to change.
Some might say the extra 2 byte overhead for a variable length field might
waste $2.73 in disk space and they can't afford that on a measly 6-9 byte
field.
The fun part would be now adding an offset field to any api data
structures to support changing this field to variable length.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

James Rich <james@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: midrange-l-bounces+rob=dekko.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
12/14/2004 03:31 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: The Day the Music Dies (was:  RE: backup spool file)

And Vern wrote:

> The SYSLVL parameter of RTVOBJD takes a 9-character variable. The format
is
> VnnRnnMnn. But, as Al says, there are lots of places that use
6-character
> format - not the least being all the TGTRLS parameters, which are now
> defined as *CHAR-8.

Why use fixed lengths at all?  Make the VRM be a "string" that can be any
length.  Heck, in linux you can even add your own custom tag to the "VRM"
(i.e. something like 2.6.9-we_did_this) and all the tools handle it just
fine.  Why couldn't the iSeries do something similar?

James Rich

It's not the software that's free; it's you.
                 - billyskank on Groklaw
list