Resending a note from yesterday.  If this is a duplicate, sorry.  I don't
pay much attention to receiving my own notes, as I've already read
them:-))))

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

----- Forwarded by Al Barsa/Barsa Consulting on 12/05/2004 01:22 PM -----

             Al Barsa/Barsa
             Consulting
             12/04/2004 10:24          Midrange Systems Technical
             AM                        Discussion
                                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: Question on V5R3 LPAR mode
                                       (Document link: Al Barsa)

The answer is"kind of".  If you have to re-load the service processor (the
FSP), you must bring down all partitions to do such, so the promise that
you would have to bring down all partitions was less than true.  Sometimes
when you do an update to the HMC, it requires an update to the FSP, but not
always.  These are kissing cousins, so they have to be completely in synch.

In defense of IBM:
      The whole Power 5, HMC, FSP thing was brought out too early.
Apparently someone in a very high place made a decision that this had to
come to market early, and forced the announcement dates.  One of IBM's
problems is that they change management frequently, so they fail to learn
from their mistakes.
      The goal of the HMC/FSP combination was that it was to be extremely
stable, and would never have to be updated.  This also was a problem,
because it came to market too early.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

             CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxx
             midrange-l-bounce         midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             11/30/2004 04:13          RE: Question on V5R3 LPAR mode
             PM

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Correct,

With v5r3 and the i5 hardware you don't have a primary partition.

Note that from what I've heard, there's a "service processor" that monitors
the system, its logical partitions and other virtualization features.

IIRC, someone said if the service process dies, so does the system.  And to
load updates, to the SP, you have to bring down the system.

I can't confirm that though.

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343