This is to perform the option 8 function of WRKIMGCLGE automatically, not to load the image itself from media to the catalog. This can be useful for automatically advancing to the next entry in the catalog, because IBM has not provided the way to prepare CDs that can do this on their own.

V5R3 has this command but is not back-PTFing it, AFAIK. V5R3 also has the ability to add writable virtual optical volumes. You can create multiple writable image entries in an image catalog, then save to the virtual device. It will span automatically, just as with tape. I've not verified whether this will automatically advance when restoring. You can bring the resulting image files (in IFS) to your PC and burn them to plastic. These can be created with different sizes, up to and beyond DVD size.

FWIW, I wrote an additional function in Centerfield Technology's CD-ROM Studio that can save large libraries/applications across multiple CDs. If you are on V5R3 and put the CDs into an image catalog, it advances automatically. If before V5R3, you are prompted with the WRKIMGCLGE command, as I recall - or at least are prompted to use it to load the next volume - the point of this original post, maybe.

Check it out at www.centerfieldtechnology.com

(not working there anymore, so no company stake)
Vern

At 02:19 PM 12/1/2004, you wrote:
What would be the point of that? You'd still have to be there to change the CD's that you're copying from.

Thomas Hauber wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a command to load the individual file images from within a CL? I know you can do this via WRKIMGCLGE and then entering an 8 next to each file, but I am trying to setup a CL to do this for me.