> From: Jones, John (US)
>
> Businesses are not ethical beings.  While in the US businesses have
the
> same legal rights as citizens, they are not bound by either ethics or
> morals.  Their sole reason for being is to produce profit for their
> owner(s).

Agreed, which is why I skirted the ethical issues and focused on the
purely economic realities.

That doesn't mean, however, that business SHOULDN'T be ethical.
Business reflect the decisions of their management, and management
should be able to temper avarice with ethics.

For example, one purpose for my being (the primary one, should you ask
my wife <g>) is to support my family.  And while I could probably
support them better through various unethical means, it's not acceptable
(it is Wrong, with a capital W) that I do so.  I think we should hold
corporate management to the same standards, although I get the idea that
mine is a minority opinion.

As you point out, the fact that we don't do so says more about us as a
society than perhaps we'd like to see.  Gordon Gekko's "greed is good"
mentality is pretty rampant in this country, as you can see from the
shows that inhabit prime time television.  From idolizing mob bosses to
rewarding liars and cheats, our airwaves are a good indicator that at
least a certain segment of the population believes anything goes.

And now I better quit before I cross the line into sermonizing... <g>

Joe