On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Brad Stone wrote:

> Now, I know port 80 isn't needed in the HOST parm, but does
> that also mean that for SSL you don't need to use 443, or
> is that also default for SSL connections?  Maybe it's safer
> to just ALWAYS put the port in.  :)

To quote from RFC 2616 (and Ken's message):

    The Host request-header field specifies the Internet host and port
    number of the resource being requested, as obtained from the original
    URI given by the user or referring resource (generally an HTTP URL,
    as described in section 3.2.2).

    A "host" without any trailing port information implies the default
    port for the service requested (e.g., "80" for an HTTP URL).

The way I read this is that the port number should be included in the HOST
header ONLY IF it was in the URI.

And, if it's not given in the URI, it's not part of the HOST header.
But, when programs need to know what port to connect/receive on, they use
the DEFAULT FOR THE SERVICE. (The service being the 'http:' or 'https:'
part of the URI.)

It specifically does NOT say "always use 80 if not given." Since it says
the default for the service, the default for https would be 443, the
default for HTTP would be 80.  If additional transports are createde for
HTTP, they might have different services and use different ports as well.

So, that's the way that I'm going to do it in HTTPAPI. (Actually, I
already did it that way on my test box.)