Before anybody goes too far off the deep end on OS/2, let me put in my
two cents.  At SSA, I led the team that developed one of the first
commercial client/server applications using OS/2 and the AS/400, and we
loved the OS.  The documentation was at times challenging (e.g., they
would have the wrong return codes on APIs in the manuals), but the OS
was incredible.  We developed not one, but THREE different million-line
plus applications which were delivered simultaneously in eight different
languages, and we never ran into OS difficulties.  Hardware
difficulties, sure, and software design issues, but once we got things
ironed out, the applications worked flawlessly.

On the other hand, there were a LOT of ported Windows applications that
had problems.  The Windows API was crap, the 16-bit thunking was even
crappier crap, and code that worked fine on Windows sometimes just
didn't work on OS/2.  Of course, software that worse on Windows may not
work after you apply a patch, so expecting it to run flawlessly on a
completely different operating system is a bit much, but OS/2 tried
hard.

Joe