> I have the DirecWay Satellite service.  I have had this issue with the
> service since I installed it at home last April.
>
> From: Cletus [mailto:cletusr@xxxxxxxxxx]
>
> What type of access do you have now? Have you reviewed the time out
> setting?
>
> Be aware of rain with satellite connection - it can affect your access.
>
> CJR

I know I'm coming to the party late, but isn't the real problem here one
of physics?  A satellite orbits somewhere over 20,000 MILES above the
earth.  That's 20,000 up from your computer, 20,000 back down to your
iSeries, and then back, so a round trip of data would then be 80,000+
miles... a round trip that has to occur for every packet you send.
Combined with the earthly networking required, I understand this can be
a very slow process.

Not to mention, that HTTP is a completely disconnected type of
connection (send a request, get a response, terminate server
connection), so you wouldn't have the problems there that you may have
with TELNET, which I think expects you to stay connected.  Unplug your
ethernet line next time you have an emulator running and see what
happens.  I think with the satellite you would experience a lot of
problems trying some kind of persistent TCP connection.

Maybe this would be a good time for a web solution... even WSG would be
better than constantly getting disconnected.

Joel
http://www.rpgnext.com