The biggest difference, though, is that unlike videotape quality, which
was a consumer decision based purely on the customer's experience,
things like reliability and security can be "spun", as we see here in
this list.  Statistics show clearly that the iSeries is far more
reliable than Windows, but MS salespeople quickly muddy the waters with
the old cluster argument.  And even non-IT folks know that Windows is
full of security holes, yet there are people who insist that a properly
patched and configured and locked down Windows machine is comparable to
an iSeries.

How is a consumer to know?  Unless someone is out there holding up the
banner of the iSeries, the consumer has to believe what the consultants
tell him, and there are plenty of consultants willing to tell him that
Windows is "good enough".

Joe