> From: Walden H. Leverich
>
> Ignoring the fact that it's from MS, and you hate MS. Would you not
> consider Word an "application?"

No.  It's a tool.  And even so, I doubt there's a Windows box on the
planet that has been running Word without rebooting since 2001.  Find
one, Walden, and maybe your position will actually gain some
credibility.

> Actually, I appreciate the technological elligance of the iSeries
quite a
> bit, but I've got a news flash for you, my users could care less about
> task switching, IOPs or taged pointers, they want an application that
> serves the business.

The reason they don't care is they count on you to tell them which
system best preserves their investment.  Little do they know you're
selling them imitation Rolexes.

> If my application is implemented across 5 servers
> located in two physical locations and a meteor hits one, WHO CARES!

Whoa, big guy.  Now you're talking REDUNDANT clusters.  You've now
tripled the cost of my little iSeries box.  I love it.  Windows is now
the closed operating system that requires tons of hardware.
Interestingly, that USED to be what you folks said about the iSeries.

> If you think it will, why don't you remove RAID protection
> from all your "reliable" iSeries hardware.

You're drooling, dude.  I have RAID because it makes my hardware FAULT
TOLERANT.  Errors occur.  Some operating systems handle it, some don't.

> >research Betamax. Windows is the VHS of operating systems.
>
> Ooooo, I love this! Perhaps what you say is true, but have you bought
> Betamax tape recently? You're that Betamax guy screaming from the
rooftops
> about the technical superiority of your format, not noticing that the
> world has decided that VHS is the way to go!

The world only went that way because people kept lying to them, saying
that VHS is better.  Proof positive that a technologically inferior
solution can be foisted on the public by self-serving, unethical sales
folks.

Now they sell Windows.

> continuing to ignore the
> competition just moves the iSeries closer to Betamax status every day.

I don't ignore the competition, I in fact rigorously challenge when they
try to dump doublespeak on the public forums.

Joe