Actually the "Allow creation of user certificates" had nothing to do with
it.
The problem was that I still had other PC5250 sessions open to other
systems when I downloaded the certificate from this new system and
configured an SSL PC5250 session.  PC5250 will NOT use any new
certificates until you end ALL PC5250 sessions and then restart.

...Neil

Neil Palmer/DPS <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
2004/11/15 01:59

cc

Subject
Re: SSL Telnet error

Found the answer.  In the Local Certificate Authority, the Policy Data has

to be set to "Allow creation of user certificates" = NO.

...Neil

Neil Palmer/DPS <neilp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
2004/11/14 22:17

cc

Subject
SSL Telnet error

Can't figure out what this means (I hate when they list error codes, but
there appears to be nowhere to look them up):

Connecting...
Resolving SERVER.DOMAIN.COM
SERVER.DOMAIN.COM Resolved to SERVER.DOMAIN.COM (IPV4)
Creating a local socket...
Local socket is connecting to remote server/host SERVER.DOMAIN.COM using
port 992...
Connected to remote server/host SERVER.DOMAIN.COM using port 992
Secure socket is connecting through TLS1.0 to remote server/host
SERVER.DOMAIN.COM using port 992...
Failed connecting to secure remote server/host SERVER.DOMAIN.COM using
port 992, error code 414
Disconnecting...
Disconnected.

Any clue what error code 414 is ?

The QTVTELNET joblog (V5R2 target system) shows:

Message ID . . . . . . :   CPDBC84       Severity . . . . . . . :   10
Message type . . . . . :   Diagnostic
Date sent  . . . . . . :   11/14/04      Time sent  . . . . . . : 21:47:16

Message . . . . :   Certificate does not have a valid format.
Cause . . . . . :   If this error is received at initialization time for
the
  Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) enabled application then the AS/400
certificate
  is not valid.  If this error is received during handshake processing
then
  the remote end point's certificate is not valid.

BUT - I have the certificate created & downloaded from the iSeries to the
PC, it shows in the key database,
THE VERIFY SSL CONNECTION in iSERIES NAVIGATOR (PROPERTIES / SECURE
SOCKETS) SUCCESSFULLYVERIFIES ALL SERVERS, INCLUDING TELNET, yet I can't
get the SSL PC5250 session to work.
(I have configured several other iSeries systems that I can successfully
establish SSL Telnet sessions to).

And no, the Telnet Application does NOT specify "Client authentication
required".

...Neil