Steve,

Don't think that solves the problem.

If the programmers were working in TEST libraries, the question wouldn't
need to be asked.  Since they are stepping through a program running over
the development library, if they only have read access then I'm pretty such
the program will crash if it tries to open a file for update.

Even if it doesn't, or perhaps they get around it by running the program in
another job, you still have the original problem.  They could change the
output of the program from the debugger by changing variables in the program
while developing it.

I don't think there's an easy way to handle this.  Either the programmers
have access to the production data or they don't.

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America
ph: 513-573-4343