On Mon, 2004-11-08 at 14:36, Chris Bipes wrote:
> Well in order to do any of this, you need to get a hold of the application,
> reverse engineer it, identify the weakness, then build the program to
> attach.  Easy to do with cheap MS applications that are generally available.
> But to do so I the iSeries will take a lot of money and effort.  Yes it can
> be done.  If I want to attach the Apache server on the iSeries, I could
> start with the open source for Apache on my windows platform.  But will the
> same attach on the same program work on the iSeries?  Now for my custom
> socket server that does not reside on any computer outside of the
> organization, well it would be more difficult to attach since you know
> nothing about my application and cannot get the program object or source to
> reverse engineer.
I generally agree with this line of thinking.  And, I'm much more
worried about the possible result of a C program (e.g. Apache) than any
RPG code as a result.

> Most attacks are on wide spread internet services.  I.e. IIS, Exchange,
> SMTP, Cisco Routers, VPN server, FTP servers and others.  So I would not
> worry about custom applications that you put on the internet but on those
> standard packages that are widely used.  I do not think that one can break
> the actual IP stack provide by IBM that we all use.  But again, maybe there
> are holes in the low level stuff that can be hacked.
No, my investigation is making it clear to me that one would have to
work awful hard to open up some kind of flaw in RPG.  C, I don't know
about...
--
Regards,
Rich