From: Joel Pointer [mailto:joelp@xxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of
MQHOST/Raleigh/IBM%IBMUS
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 8:55 AM
Subject: Daylight Savings Time is this Saturday, please review the Webshpere
MQ for iSeries Best Practice Guide

Daylight Savings Time is this Saturday - Please review the Webshpere MQ for
iSeries Best Practice Guide

3.8 Daylight saving time
OS/400 does not have automatic provision to adjust the clock for daylight
saving time. iSeries
users must adjust the system clock (and UTC offset) when making adjustments
for daylight savings time.
This causes problems for WebSphere MQ on iSeries, because WebSphere MQ uses
timestamps based on
the system clock to access data in the queue manager's journal. If the
system clock changes while
WebSphere MQ is running, then WebSphere MQ can fail to access journal data
correctly. It is therefore
necessary to quiesce WebSphere MQ before changing the system clock.

3.8.1 Spring time change
When the clocks go forward one hour in the spring, WebSphere MQ can just be
shut down for the time it
takes to adjust the clock. The queue manager can be restarted immediately
after changing the clock
and UTC offset.

3.8.2 Autumn or fall time change
When the clocks go backward in the autumn or fall, you cannot restart the
queue manager immediately
after changing the clock backwards. If you do so, there is a risk that
WebSphere MQ will write
duplicate timestamps to the journal. You should ensure that WebSphere MQ is
stopped for an hour
either before, or after the time change and UTC offset update, to avoid the
problems associated
with setting the system clock backward by an hour.

In environments where downtime must be minimized, an enforced outage of one
hour may not be acceptable.
IBM is looking into providing a better solution, but until this is
available, the only alternative to
quiescing the queue manager for an hour is to perform a controlled cold
start of the system (see section
3.5 for a discussion of the Cold Start). A controlled cold start is one
where all queues are emptied of
any persistent messages and the queue manager is cleanly shut down. The
queue manager journal data can
then be deleted per the cold start procedure. This eliminates the risk of
losing messages, but it still
deletes all media recovery information. You will not be able to recover
damaged objects without media
recovery information, so you should ensure that you have backed up your
object definitions prior to
attempting this (see section 3.6.2). Your IBM service representative will be
able provide details of
the cold start procedure.

WebSphere MQ - Host mailbox (OS/390, z/OS, AS/400, VSE)
An open problem record (PMR) is required before sending email to
mqhost@xxxxxxxxxx
Call  your IBM Support Center to requeue, update, or open a PMR to Level 2
(In the U.S., call 1-800-237-5511)