From: Cox, Joe
Sent: Tuesday, October 12, 2004 1:42 PM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: very low end i5 performance

Jim, we just replaced a maxed out 5 year old model 170 (10 4gb drives &
832mb storage) with a new i5 model 520 value edition.  It has twinax
console, 6 35gb drives, 2gb memory, 500 cpw/30 interactive, same tape
drive.  Our user base and workload are similar to yours except we have a
fair amount of green screen users.

The performance is great.  We've only done a little benchmarking so far
but smaller batch jobs run in a 10th of the time and interactive jobs
are significantly faster even though our interactive CPW didn't change
much (20CPW to 30CPW).  I'm guessing that larger batch jobs will show
even greater improvement.

Although our system is only 20gb in size, we went with 6 35 gb drives to
increase the number of arms.  A full system save went from about 1:45 to
1:30.

Hope this helps

Joe Cox