From: CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:CWilt@xxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 2004 6:21 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Printek 4500se on ethernet

It makes perfect sense...

Are you using a Printek provided windows driver??  If yes, then you'd need a
Printek or IBM provided iSeries driver, which doesn't exist.

If no, then are you using LPD/LPR?  If yes, then you need to use the same on
the iSeries which means using RMTOUTQ.

The only network attach protocols supported by the iSeries are: *IPDS
*LEXLINK
LPD/LPR
PJL
SNMP
IPP (Internet Print Protocol)

Without an *IPDS chip in the printer, you can't use *IPDS.

*IPDS is provided by the PSF/400 license program, specify DEVTYPE(*IPDS) on
the CRTDEVPRT

*LEXLINK is provided by specifying *LEXLINK on the LANATTACH parm of the
CRTDEVPRT

LPD/LPR is provided by RMTOUTQ

PJL is provided by specifying *HPPJLDRV or *IBMPJLDRV on the SYSDRVPGM parm
of the CRTDEVPRT command

SNMP is provided by specifying *IBMSNMPDRV on the SYSDRVPGM parm of the
CRTDEVPRT command

IPP is provided by specifying *IBMIPPDRV on the SYSDRVPGM parm of the
CRTDEVPRT command

With a Printek, you might try SMNP or IPP.  If you have an external Lexmark
printer server you could even use *LEXLINK.

If the print server is Axis, I've been able to use SMNP even if the docs
don't mention support for it.

HTH,
Charles