midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   9. RE: Would anybody know of a way, from a CL program, . . .
>      (Dan Bale)
>
>Still feeling the need to play devil's advocate here... <g>
>
>Who will maintain this after you move on / retire / buy the farm?
>
>I have plenty of skeleton templates for different types of DDS-based display
>applications, so I'd debate the relative merits of having the same type of
>template for *PNLGRP.

Who will maintain it? I'd guess almost anyone could who was generally
competent. Like every comparable tool, UIM has defaults as well as details. For
many uses, most details aren't needed. If this is a first attempt at creating a
UIM panel group, I wouldn't expect a lot that was outside easy comprehension.

Figures 16-2, 16-5, 16-9 and 16-11, in the Application Display Programming
guide provide example 'templates' that can give something of an overview of any
panel group source. The simple lists in Appendix A-4, Panel Group Organization,
give a somewhat different view. With those, the general organization should be
understandable. After that, the details of the tags themselves following in the
appendix is not really different from reading the DDS manual details for what
the SFLDROP keyword does.

Keep in mind that James did this in couple days for his first time from
_nothing_ but IBM documentation. Given that James also has already coded the
calls to the APIs to display the panels and react to any actions, I wouldn't
expect much more maintenance trouble than with most applications. Trouble, yes,
simply because it's different.

But I've seen an awful lot of apps that should never be turned over to another
programmer and they consisted of nothing but RPG, CL and DDS.

>Don't get me wrong.  I love how UIM "enforces" a common user interface.  But
>the lack of a design tool and the near-total lack of information when errors
>occur make UIM development "persona non gratis" (or is it just "non gratis"?
><g>) in my shop.

Interesting combination... "common user interface" and "design tool". It'd be
nice to think that the first would obviate the second, but of course it doesn't.

With UIM, you have the .im control word that's similar to /COPY, including
nesting to numerous levels. I've created a bunch of ".im" UIM source members
that I plug into panel groups as I go along. (For the majority of UIM apps that
I do, the CL or RPG is essentially the same for all of them -- mostly
information displays or prompt for values.) For example, when you execute the
DSPJOB command, the menu that appears has a job/user/number data group across
the top. I've got that in a ".im" member, so I just plug ".im #jobgrp" in as a
source line where I want it.

Since UIM source is essentially free-form and since .im's get included
apparently during the first pass(es) through the source, you can imbed(/COPY)
even syntax punctuation such as closing delimiters if you really want to. Very
flexible -- and quickly, once you create your set of .im members. (Aye, there's
the rub.)

Unfortunately, .im's and "design tool" seem conflicting. If the design tool
included a way to generate and use .im members, especially multi-level nesting,
now that would be cool!

Start with the basic "templates" beginning with the figures noted above and
expand from there. Sure _sounds_ simple... but somehow I keep imagining a UIM
version of RLU!

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta