Yes, we use save while active on our nightly backup.  Basically, you we get
the system into a semi-restricted state (end most all subsystems, end
TCP/IP, etc.), submit a job to a job to monitor a message queue for the
message saying the checkpoint has been achieved, and then start the SAVLIB.

The monitoring job checks the message queue specified on the SAVLIB command
every 5 seconds.  Once it gets the message it restarts everything that was
shut down before.  We do this only on the libraries with files and other
objects that might get locked.  There are a number of program libraries
that we process with a separate SAVLIB command.  We could have included
them with the first SAVLIB command but there was no need to and by omitting
them it reduces the time needed to achieve a checkpoint.

The "bad press" in the past may be due to the process being incorrectly
implemented.  Our experience has been that it's reduced the time that our
720 has been unavailable from over 2.5 hours to under 30 minutes.  Your
mileage may vary.

Dave Parnin
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571
daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                      CZE Midrange

                      <CZEMidrange@czeusa.        To:
midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx@SMTP@CTB
                      com>                        cc:       (bcc: David A
Parnin/Topeka/NISCO/SPCO)
                      Sent by:                    Subject:  Save While Active

                      midrange-l-bounces@m

                      idrange.com

                      09/13/2004 10:14 PM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

                      <midrange-l@midrange

                      .com>

Has anyone used the save while active parameter when doing backups? If so,
exactly how do the parameters function with "checkpoint" and "pending
record change" logic?

If many files are left open, are the backups delayed significantly? I have
heard that, at one time, this set of parameters were either not working as
advertised or causing other troubles.

Whatever knowledge you can lend would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks much.

 Rick Rayburn
NYC