Hi Jim,
The entry that says: 'Host Search Priority' basically says, I'll either start
from the host table, OR the DNS server.  You can't do the DNS, HOST, DNS
senario.  You select which DNS server is queried first by which one you put in
the 'Domain name Server' address list first.

I have set the iSeries DNS server up so I can load our local addresses up and
then query the ISP's DNS server.  That way I can use internal addresses in
place of external ones.
For instance, say my external address is 66.66.66.100.  My www record is set to
that address so that someone on the internet can get to it by www.xyz.com.
Internally, I have a DNS record for www.xyz.com set up for 10.10.10.100.  My
users do www.xyz.com and hit the web server in the DMZ without having to go out
to the internet and then back in again.  I only have my iSeries listed in the
DNS search list but have that DNS server querying my ISP's DNS server if needed.

In your host table, do you really have 4 domains, or 4 host entries in the same
domain?  DNS will handle them both, but the set up is entirely different.

Let me know if you need help with that setup.

Wayne Johnston
Integrity Technology, LLC

from: jlowary@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
subject: Setting up DNS on AS400 questions???

In our "Hosts Table Entries" now on the iSeries we have 4 domains pointing
to one IP address, and we now need a fifth.  These are all domains that
point to our mail server on the network.  From what I can see on the
archives, I'll need to create a DNS to do this?  We already use DNS at our
ISP (at least I think we do, by what I have below).

By looking on "12. Change TCP/IP domain information" on the CFGTCP menu I
we are set up with:

Domain search list: *DFT
Host name search priority: *LOCAL
Domain name server:
  Internet address . . . . . . . xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
                         xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (where x's are our ISP's DNS)

Will this work?  So that I can still have it check "my" DNS, then the Host
Table, then the ISP's DNS.  I there some good examples of how to do
something like this, or somewhere I can find some info on how to set up a
DNS and make this work, or am I barking up the wrong tree?  If this is the
way I need to go; I'd like to set this up and know one even know it's was
done, not set it up and take down everyone's web-sites and eMail ability
(not the way I want to be noticed!).

Thanks for any help, suggestions, etc. you might be able to provide.

Regards,

-- Jim LowAry