Don't know whether this will help. About 10 years ago I wrote a VB application that ran on a PC (Windows 3.x, IIRC) attached to the scale through the RS-232 serial interface. It also attached to a scanner for the tracking barcode. I don't remember all the details - you need to check the docs for thw scale and scanner. I think you had to wait or else poll the scale to tell you the weight.

Now there are what are called keyboard wedges for scales and other devices. These act as keyboard input to the 400. The article at <http://www.csensors.com/kbdwedge.html> says "Physically, the keyboard plugs into the scanner and the scanner plugs into the computer console. When you type on the keyboard, the characters are sent to the computer as usual. When you scan a barcode, the barcoded characters are converted to keyboard "key codes", and sent to the computer. So, the computer thinks that the data in the barcode was typed on the keyboard." There are also "software" that convert RS-232 input to keuboard scan codes.

Do a google on "keyboard wedge". And talk to your scale and scanner vendors.

The key thing is, it'll fill in 400 application fields in an emulator as if typed.

HTH
Vern