Hello all, I connect to this thread with a little delay but I'm just back
from holy vacations ... I found many very interesting suggestions and tips
about zip codes for US (and Canada); does anyone have information on which
resource (not necessarely free ...) is available for EU countries ?

Thanks
Fabio

"DeLong, Eric" <EDeLong@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
08/19/2004 05:20 PM
Please respond to

'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion' <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
RE: City/State/County Info by Zip Codes

Vertex work ok for most rural type addresses, though they do NOT geocode
very small communities (less than 500 or so).  For large urban cities, you
may find that Vertex can't determine which county an address resides, so
you
may be hard pressed to get full compliance....

I wrote an "address validator" program that access the Vertex LOC api's to
scrub address info, and to return geocodes to my database.  When running
in
batch, it is instructed to not return a result IF there are multiple
locations returned for a particular address.  I still see better than 95%
on
most files I pass through, so overall it works pretty well.

You didn't specify what version of Vertex you're using, but not all of
their
products have the features that I am using.  We use Vertex Q-series
(formerly Quantum for Sales and Use Tax) which is a C based runtime,
delivered in service program objects.

Eric DeLong
Sally Beauty Company
MIS-Project Manager (BSG)