On Wed, 1 Sep 2004, Valerio Vincenti wrote:

Anyone willing to explain to a "non native" what's so special about
666?

In UNIX 666 is a permission mode. From the chmod manual page:

       A numeric mode is from one to  four  octal  digits  (0-7),
       derived  by  adding  up  the bits with values 4, 2, and 1.
       Any omitted digits are assumed to be leading  zeros.   The
       first  digit  selects the set user ID (4) and set group ID
       (2) and save text image [`sticky']  (1)  attributes.   The
       second digit selects permissions for the user who owns the
       file: read (4), write (2),  and  execute  (1);  the  third
       selects  permissions  for other users in the file's group,
       with the same values; and the fourth for other  users  not
       in the file's group, with the same values.

So 666 means that all users may read and write to the file.

Outside of UNIX 666 means lots of things to different people - most of them not good.

James Rich

Vs lbh cynl n Zvpebfsg PQ  onpxjneqf, lbh pna urne fngnavp zrffntrf. Ohg
rira jbefr, vs lbh cynl vg sbejneq, vg vafgnyyf gurve fbsgjner!
        -- Fcbgvphf ba /.