And you don't need to use it, as the CCSID info for the file and path names is right there, for using iconv to get it out of Unicode. I saw a CCSID of 13488 on our V5R1 system.

I wonder about the wisdom of this approach - it will be likely that the journal receivers will be huge, as after images are recorded, as well as commitment control stuff - all kinds of stuff. I think using the audit journal might be better - setting it up for existing objects is a bit daunting but for detecting new objects, it might just be the ticket. You can set up auditing on a directory, then any objects created in it will generate an entry code 'T', entry type 'CO' for 'Create object'. It has the object name in both Unicode and EBCDIC. Layout is in Appendix F of the Security Reference Manual. It will not set up auditing on objects in subdirectories.

JMHO
Vern