Either I am suffering Gray Matter CPU rot or something has changed with the TSPLPRD tool (actually the V5R2 handling of *DEVD).

I tried to add another dot matrix printer today using CRTDEVPRT and the TSPLPRD driver just as I have in the past. When I start the printer it ends immediately abnormal and the job log has an escape message CPF9898 with:

REMOTE PRINTER QUEUE NOT SPECIFIED IN USRDFNDTA OF PRINTER

So... I looked in the QUSRTOOL documentation for TSPLPRD and it said to use SETRMTPQ to set the USRDFNDTA as the remote "path/queue". When I used this command 1) it left the object locked until I ended the group job (couldn't even do a DLCOBJ) 2) it didn't help.

I don't remember using the SETRMTPQ command years ago when the IBM'er sent me the tool (pre WDSC inclusion of the C compiler) and there isn't a USRDFNDTA parm on the CRTDEVPRT command.

Has anyone else at V5R2 recently added a printer using TSPLPRD without trouble?

Thanks.

Roger Vicker, CCP

--
*** Vicker Programming and Service *** Have bits will byte *** www.vicker.com