Thanks.  I'm having a hard time in not falling back into using PDM and
CODE.  It's not that I have any issues with WDSC, it's just getting around
to using them.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Vern Hamberg <vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: midrange-l-bounces+rob=dekko.com@xxxxxxxxxxxx
08/23/2004 01:49 PM
Please respond to

cc

Fax to

Subject
Re: connecting 2 as400s

Copying a non-DB object works in the same system, but not between systems.

At least,  a user space was not copied between libraries on 2 systems. I
have 5.1.2 of WDSC with latest service pack, I think. One could create a
user command, I suppose, but it'd need to use SAVRST* of some kind.

Vern

At 09:42 AM 8/23/2004, you wrote:
> [...]
>
>Subject
>Re: connecting 2 as400s
>

>I can't agree with doing away with SNA. We use the SAVRST* commands of
>ObjectConnect to move things between 400s. It is much easier than using
>FTP
>for this, as it encapsulates things in SAVFs as needed, automatically.
>Setting up AnyNet is very easy - I'd have to look up the details, but not
>hard to find -> Communications manuals of some kind.
>
>You also need to have entries in the system directory to support this,
>but,
>again, not hard to do. I think an *ANY entry of some sort can give
>everyone
>access.
>
>I use FTP for all kinds of things, as well, so I'm not at all an SNA
>bigot.
>For data, FTP is great. But when you need to copy a single object or
>library to another 400 on your network, I have found nothing easier than
>
>couple nice little PDM options that activate SAVRSTOBJ or SAVRSTLIB.
>
>Vern
>
>At 10:20 PM 8/22/2004, you wrote:
> >Yes, you can do what you want to do. First off, using SNA stuff (SNADS,
> >DSPT, etc.) can be done over TCP/IP by using AnyNet. That's an IBM
> >method of encapsulating SNA in TCP/IP. The two 400s would each be
> >talking SNA, the transport across the network (including the Internet)
> >would be TCP/IP. Look in the Info Center for AnyNet - it's pretty easy
> >to configure.
> >
> >However, I would also suggest doing away with SNA. You have all the
> >TCP/IP capabilities of Telnet, FTP, etc., and you may find that you
> >don't need SNA anymore. Regardless, if you have Ethernet cards in the
> >400s, you can connect the two over a TCP/IP network. Again, check out
> >the Info Center - you'll find step by step guides to configuration.
> >
> >On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 10:26:19 -0500, "Simpson, Doug"
> ><dsimpson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> > > Hello all,
> > > BTW - I am a network admin with more knowledge on the PC side,
please
> > > pardon
> > > my lack of
> > > as400 knowledge.  Also, hope I chose the correct list to post this
> > > question.
> > >
> > > Right now my company has has an as400 that connects to outside
as400s
> > > (clients) via a
> > > "passthru" over old ibm modems.  The great thing for users is that
>they
> > > can
> > > use sna and
> > > snads and run via their client access, etc.  The negative is that
>these
> > > modems sit on an
> > > old e50 and one day it will die and there will be nothing to replace
>it.
> > > Also these
> > > modems are old and expensive to purchase.
> > > I am trying to figure out a replacement, hopefully over the
Internet.
> > > do
> > > not want
> > > this change to be any different for the user (ie still be able to
use
> > > client
> > > access and
> > > sna -snads and their regular commands.
> > > My first step is to try and connect two as400s on my (tcp/ip)
network.
> > > Can
> > > I do this
> > > without having to purchase more hardware?  I have done some research
>but
> > > just can't
> > > find the one doc/howto about connecting two as400 servers across a
>tcp/ip
> > > and still
> > > continue to use sna.
> > > Thank you for you help -
> > > --
> > > This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L)
mailing
> > > list
> > > at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.
> > >
> >--
> >
> >   michaelr_41@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >
> >--
> >This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing
>list
> >Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives
> >at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.
>

>--
>This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing
>list
>

>--
>This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing
list

list