midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   1. Re: IBM overhauls iSeries for the long haul
>
>And if a vendor actually NEEDS the latest hardware and OS in order to be
>confident of COMPATIBILITY with the latest hardware and OS, that kind of
>suggests that the vendor's products use a lot of hacks.

No, it doesn't, regardless of what anyone chooses to infer.

Compatibility tests are only one part of it even though a commonly necessary
part. It is also true that some vendors are committed to i5 (and iSeries and
AS/400) and i5/OS (and OS/400).

When a new release comes out, I know we want to test the release itself for the
parts that our products support as well as any parts we need just to be able to
run tests, e.g., do Client Access and iSeries Access connect okay? Why?
Because, believe it or not, new releases have bugs and new documentation has
typos or is incorrect. If we as a vendor can find some of these and report to
IBM, we do some small part to raise the quality for the entire market, not just
for ourselves and not just for our customers.

As for our products, parts of OS/400 are changed in every release. We want to
know if any changes need PTFs from IBM. If so, we like those PTFs to be
available to our customers as soon as GA comes around.

We're not interested in hearing from our customers that a product shows an
error and then finding out we need to get a problem opened with IBM and then
waiting for a PTF to be written and then testing it and then notifying our
customer that they can download and apply this PTF as soon as IBM releases it.

Sure, we do run into that every once in a while. But we _much_ prefer finding
it early ourselves and having the PTF in the very first cume package that's
available. We much prefer that customers never even realize a problem ever
existed.

For committed vendors, early ship/beta has nothing to do with hacks. It has to
do with customer satisfaction of the whole iSeries experience.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.