I like ifnull better myself, mainly 'cause I always have to look up how to
spell coalesce. <grin>

But I think the SQL standard is coalesce :-(

What weird font?  My posts look ok when they come back to me, and in the
archive.

David has mentioned that my posts come through as ISO-"something" Japanese.
Which is due to the fact the way our mail servers are configured to support
Japanese and English from what our PC people tell me.

Charles