John, I understand totally.  We monitor all our own stuff, (environmental,
data circuits, connections to key partners, servers/AS400, etc).  I do tend
to get some "noise", but in the long run it is worth it.  I own the company,
and I live the closest to the data center (not in my house though, but only
less than a mile down the road).  Getting away from it all is nice, but the
ultimate responsibility rests in my lap.  I have too much of a vested
interest to be sure the monitoring id accurate.  Our AS400 monitor attempts
many different type of recovery based on the given failure.  Some message
are critical enough to get a page ("hey, you lost a drive in your RAID
set"), and some just get sent as normal email.

I get away a lot, but I have a Treo600 that allows me to log on remotely and
check/resolve some problems.

The weather duck is cool, and priced pretty well.

Sometimes the cool factor has to win out.
cjg

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
600 Kennesaw Avenue, Suite 400
Marietta, GA  30060
(770) 422-2995 - voice
(419) 730-8212 - fax
mailto:cgalgano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ediconsulting.com
AS400 EDI, Networking, E-Commerce and Communications Consulting and
Implementation
http://www.icecreamovernight.com
Premium Ice Cream Brands shipped Overnight

Visit our website to subscribe to our FREE AS/400 Timesharing Service