midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>   5. exit points? (was: does PAM for AS400 exist?) (jared)
>
> through something called "exit points".  To my
>ear, these sound like "callbacks with formally-defined interfaces" that
>have some standard implementation that can be overridden by creating the
>right program with the right name and procedures, and installing it with
>appropriate privs in a particular location.  How accurate is that reading?

I hadn't considered exit points/exit programs in terms of callbacks before, but
it kind of, sort of is okay to think of them in that way.

The names and locations of exit programs can be pretty much whatever you want
as long as they don't conflict with other programs. The formally-defined
interface known as the Registration Facility is where you tell an exit point
what the name and location of an exit program is.

Once properly registered and activated (depending on the exit point and
version/release of OS/400 and potentially other elements), the exit program
will be called every time the related server or function reaches the right
point in its processing. The server passes the defined parms into the exit
program and generally waits for results to come back before continuing with the
transaction.

One use of exit programs is to notify a server whether or not a particular
transaction is to be allowed or rejected. Another use is to create audit
records of transactions -- for TCP/IP and host servers, audit info might
include the user profile, the location from which the transaction came, date
and time and even the transaction itself. In some cases, such as TELNET
initiation or command exit programs, the transaction might be modified -- a
device name might be associated with a session in place of a default virtual
device or command parameters might be modified for special environments.

This can add a level of granularity that's not easily possible with system
object authorities, most especially when applications are extended to allow
network access into databases. An application might have logic that prohibits
user ABC from updating particular records. But ODBC network access can
potentially bypass the application logic by sending transactions straight to
the database. An exit program could choose to block such a transaction but
allow other transactions to the same database without needing any application
program changes.

>What, at any level of technical detail, is an exit point?

I think you've got a good enough start with thinking in terms of 'callback' as
long as you keep it at a high level.

Tom Liotta

--
Tom Liotta