Rob:

No disagreement but I think at least one other area ought to be included.

Both IBM and Microsoft know a lot more about the internals of their operating systems than 3rd-party developers do. This is primarily due to the fact that neither publishes internal interfaces nor makes those interfaces otherwise available to 3rd-parties without some very complex hoop-jumping at the least.

Look at OpsNav Application Administration, Host Applications tab, AS/400 TCP/IP utilities. A few releases ago, they put FTP Client and Server in there. It lacks granularity to be sure and it doesn't cover any TCP/IP server but FTP, but how is a 3rd-party to compete if they decide to really go all out with something like that?

Overall, I think IBM has done very well by 3rd-party developers. Look at how they've left so much of the spooled-file market available. Or consider the simple fact that they even have exit points in the first place. Plenty of available examples. This is even beyond the thought that a lot of their attempts at products are... hmmm... let's just say "not perfect". (Who's is?)

But there can be no serious refutation that they have a significant advantage (which I know you aren't trying to do).

It could indeed be unfair competition. Fortunately from my perspective, they haven't been particularly unfair so far. Then again, I don't have a file reorg utility for sale... :-)

Tom Liotta

midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

  1. Re: File reorgs while file is in use - new in V5R3 (rob@xxxxxxxxx)

That's called competition. And as long as they don't violate any copyrights and patents then I'm all for it.

Don Sent by: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx 07/09/2004 10:38 AM

this brings up another point:  what impact will this have on the utilities
guys and are they going to bring any legal issues to bear?

Seems like IBM's taking alot of 3rd party functionality and making it base
code in several platform arenas....

--
Tom Liotta
The PowerTech Group, Inc.