It knows it is you because you have an entry in the system directory that has SMTP info listed. WRKDIRE will get you there, option 5 on you, the F17 to see the SMTP stuff. If the domain and user you have in your directory entry are known to the SMTP server you've listed in the CHGSMTPA (and the hosts table), then it should go through - unless you need authentication at the SMTP server - not sure what happens then.

So you need to specify a findable name in the MAILROUTER parameter of CHGSMTPA - findable means either in your local hosts table on the iSeries, or in a DNS server known to the iSeries box.

Then you have to have SMTP info in your system directory entry that the server at MAILROUTER will process.

I think - at least that works for me, but there may be complications. The intent of this post is only to show where SNDDST looks for sender info.

BTW, the SUBJECT parameter of SNDDST is not the subject of the email - it's not used, AFAIK. The email subject is the DSTD parameter.

Vern, almost talking through his baseball cap

At 02:34 PM 6/29/2004, you wrote:
> The sender name doesn't really matter but the domain does.
> If it's someuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx you shouldn't have a
> problem.  But if it's something else, that is what is causing
> the problem.
>
> So what is it?
>
> Note: it may make a difference what user profile the job
> sending the messages is running under.

> When you send out the email from the 400 what is used as the
> sender's email address?

Here is the SNDDST command:

SNDDST     TYPE(*LMSG) +
             TOINTNET(('2607506052@xxxxxxxxxxx')) +
             DSTD('Test description') LONGMSG('Test +
             message') SUBJECT('Test subject')

The USRID parm defaults to *CURRENT.  When it ultimately fails to send, _I_
get an email telling me it failed.  Therefore I deduce from that, that it
knows it's me sending it.

--
Jeff Crosby
Dilgard Frozen Foods, Inc.