From: rick.baird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:rick.baird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 11:07 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: CPYFRMIMPF

Mike,

I can't exactly answer your question, but I've found it easier to copy
the stream file to a flat file, then copy the flat file to the ext def
physical with *NOCHK. the reason is, that If the layout changes, you
won't have to change 2

like this:

first, create the flat file (VIPICOD in the example) with a length of at
least the size of the input file (longer if you ever expect it to
change, because it doesn't matter).

then:

CPYFRMIMPF FROMSTMF(&FRMPATH) TOFILE(VIPICOD) +
              MBROPT(*REPLACE) RCDDLM(*ALL) +
              STRDLM(*NONE) FLDDLM(*TAB) +
              RPLNULLVAL(*FLDDFT)

and then copy it to your file (VIPICOD1 in the example):

CPYF       FROMFILE(VIPICOD) TOFILE(VIPICOD1) +
             MBROPT(*REPLACE) FMTOPT(*NOCHK)

since there are no tabs in the stream file, the first copy treats each
record like 1 field, copying into the flat file.

the second copy overlays your fields properly.

hth,

Rick

                      "Smith, Mike"

                      <Mike_Smith@RGCResou        To:
<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      rces.com>                   cc:

                      Sent by:                    Subject:  CPYFRMIMPF

                      midrange-l-bounces@m

                      idrange.com

                      05/28/2004 09:54 AM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

I'm trying to use this to copy a text file in the IFS to a physical
file. The data is fixed format.  The command tells me I need a field
reference file.  According to the info center it should look something
like this

- (FROMFILE) field start and end positions.
 */ -FILE MYLIB/MYFILE */
 field1 1 12 13
 field2 14 24 0
 field3 25 55 56
 field4 78 89 90
 field5 100 109 0
 field6 110 119 120
 field7 121 221 0
 *END

My question is how  do I define somethine like this.  Do I just create a
text member ?

Michael Smith
iSeries.mySeries.