Hi Angela:
We have done many RF installs with Teklogix equipment (disclaimer: we are
resellers), and their hardware words as you describe.  You have a controller
that talks TCP/IP back to the AS400 and the controller maintains the
connection back to the 400.  However, each handheld is a terminal on the
AS400 and basically does 5250 emulation.  So, writing code is simple, you
write for a smaller 5250 screen.  The controller handles the conversations
to the various base stations (radios).  We have one customer that has
wireless devices talking directly to the AS400 via an 802.11 access point,
but has a huge problem when the units go out of the coverage range, the 5250
sessions become orphaned.  The advantage of the controller solution is that
the controller maintains the conversation with the 400 and if the RF
terminal goes out of range, it knows how to pick up the connection to the
device without losing the connection back to the AS400.
Let me know if you have any particular questions.
cjg

Carl J. Galgano
EDI Consulting Services, Inc.
600 Kennesaw Avenue, Suite 400
Marietta, GA  30060
(770) 422-2995 - voice
(419) 730-8212 - fax
mailto:cgalgano@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.ediconsulting.com
AS400 EDI, Networking, E-Commerce and Communications Consulting and
Implementation
http://www.icecreamovernight.com
Premium Ice Cream Brands shipped Overnight

Visit our website to subscribe to our FREE AS/400 Timesharing Service