> Vern Hamberg wrote:

> LOL, Buck
> At my own joke!

Sorry I took liberties...

> However, if evoking it with STRREXPRC,
> it may not be the best choice for repetitive actions -
> it IS interpreted and the STRREXPRC is a
> dynamic call - like good ol' OPM.

Good point.  The code I posted was an SQL statement that did something with
each entry in the result set, which sounded like what Zak was looking for.
So (conceptually) this would be called once for his exception join.  Of
course, one could do the same in RPG, but since you mentioned ReXX, and
since so few people seem familiar with it, I took the further liberty of
posting a semi-solution.

> The bit about maintainability comes from experience
> in a previous job - new stuff is added to the mix with
> much caution, but if you get the OK - or can
> give the OK - give it a try - it IS very cool.

Not only cool, but easy to read, write and understand.  That is directly
related to the point about maintenance.  I figured that by posting some
ReXX, the list could see how easy it is to understand.  I received private
email which points out that just because a new language or technique exists
does not mean that it is the appropriate solution.  I concur; with the
caveat that many Midrange groups never try something new unless they have
seen examples of it in action.  My only goal was to broaden the discussion
with a somewhat practical demonstration, not tout ReXX as the be-all and
end-all of programming solutions.  I truly believe with all my heart that
having the ability to choose between different solutions is better than only
having one solution.  I was rather hoping that someone would copy/paste the
code and try it - it will work on any system.

Further caveat: please read the ReXX manuals before deploying ReXX into
production.  I'm really not interested in getting more private email telling
me that I've lead someone down the garden path.

I'm convinced Golgafrincham had the right idea.
  --buck