You should be able to find more info in the archives or the infocenter.

But, IIRC basically the system ends up keeping entries in various job data
structures.  Thus, IPLs take longer since the structure is bigger.  Also for
example WRKACTJOB takes longer since there are more entries to deal with.

It's been said before but it is worth repeating: iSeries spool files are not
designed for nor should they be used for long term storage.  If there's a
legitimate need for the data in a spool file, it needs to be moved to an
archival format, PDF, COLD, HTML, whatever. If for no other reason than
Disaster Recovery.  Spool files are _NOT_ backed up when you do a save menu
option 21-"Save Entire System".

HTH,
Charles