Hi Wim

I'm almost at the end of a project doing something along these lines at the moment. I found that Job Descriptions and code that had hard coded libraries in it required a lot of work. You will need to take a look at the system plumbing that comprises your application, like subsystems, jobqueues and the like which tend to get hardcoded will give you some thought. You will need to think long and hard about your library structure and library lists.

I'd recommend checking that Vision can do what you need it to do (note that I'm not suggesting it can't) and understand how it does it.

Remember that all your common applications (I'm talking about utilities and fax ware and stuff along those lines must be kinda database Neutral. You really want to have your databases and code isolated as much as possible in each IASP.

If you have application code running in *SYSBAS then you are in for some testing times. You would really want to have all your data in the IASPs.

If you have remote machines and use DDM then this will require some changes especially if they are currently SNA based. Easiest way I could find to accomplish this was to convert them to DRDA access which leads into some bizarre alleyways with authentication entries to provide access to the remote users/

If you use any client connections that have sockets listeners on them (e.g. Delphi or similar) check that they will work with the IASP. You may find that you have to hack the job description to get them to see the IASP by changing the INLASPGRP parameter of the job description they run under. IBM's ODBC works fine as it sets all that stuff up according to the user profile but other listeners or ODBC drivers may not be as ready for this

As a last thought, setting up an IASP for development seems to me to be perhaps more work than it is worth. One rogue development job could screw your production environment up big time as well.

Seems to me it would be easier to just rename the libraries and duplicate the data into them for compilation testing and the like. Why do they need to be the same names ?

There are some issues with disk arms and temp storage that IBM allude to in the red book which we haven't been able to test yet but we put our IASP-ed database under load in the next few days. Should be interesting :)

Regards
Evan Harris

Hi All,

We want to create a mirrored machine with Vision and we want to develop on this machine. However, for the development machine we need some production libraries to compile and test against that are also on the the production machine.

We want to create the libraries with the same name but in different IASP's.

I have read some of the older threads, but I wonder if there are any new insights. What needs to be changed the most if we take the IASP approach?

Best regards,

Wim